One Yellow Rabbit Performance Theatre: Everything Theatre Should Be
Once a punk rebel upstart troupe of ‘creatives’ – actors, writers, poets, jugglers, musicians and a dancer – on the cusp of a cultural renaissance that was Calgary.
Over 35 years OYR has shape-shifted into a cultural treasure that transcends the narrow geographical boundaries of city and nation.
More tenacious. More fearless than even in 1982 when we got this party started – One Yellow Rabbit is in the house. And we’re here to stay.
Actually, we’re taking over. We’re propagating – like the bunnies we are.
Count the ways:
- More than 80 productions – including international tours and collaborations, pop-up and cabaret performances
- 31 years of producing the High Performance Rodeo, giving performance opportunities to thousands of artists, from the internationally acclaimed to emerging locals
- More than 300 Labbits produced since 1997 when we launched our annual Summer Lab Intensive, helping to strengthen authentic voices and professionalism in Canadian theatre
Lists are boring. But let’s break the rules to get this stuff out of the way. We call ourselves makers because that’s what we do. Like this:
- Built an organization that creates and tours its work nationally and internationally
- Built a model of collaborative partnerships that has strengthened our structure and our future.
- Present work from the national and international performing arts milieu during the annual High Performance Rodeo
- Share our expertise with the emerging artistic community through the annual Summer Lab Intensive and the beautifulyoungartist and beautifulyoungstudents initiatives
- Contribute to the local community through the Big Secret Theatre, our 190-seat facility.