Big Secret Theatre
EPCOR Centre for the Performing Arts
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Summer Lab Intensive is a three-week master class for actors, writers, directors, dancers and other performing artists with advanced study and/or some experience in their creative field.
The experience is about transformation. The Lab teaches performance creation techniques, enhances your performance skills and stimulates your imagination. Throughout the process, we aim to fascinate, motivate and initiate your creative abilities.
The Lab is taught by a faculty of five experienced and respected professional artists.
- Denise Clarke - With over 25 years of stage experience as an actor, dancer and choreographer, Denise is one of Canada's most respected performing artists. As the Lab Principal, Denise teaches The Player: Physical Practice and Discovery without Rules.
- Chris Cran - Renowned visual artist and instructor at the Alberta College of Art and Design, Chris teaches The Gaze: The Observer and the Observed.
- Blake Brooker - OYR Co-Artistic Director, Playwright and Director, Blake leads the Text: Words from the World sessions.
- The Ensemble - Andy Curtis and Michael Green teach One Yellow Rabbit's core directives: Economy, Precision and Relaxation.
Quotes from 2011 Summer Lab Participants
"I feel different. I feel rejuvenated, inspired, positive, energetic, passionate and ready for the next project. The lab has given me so much."
- Ian M. 2011 SLI
"The lab was an amazing three week investment in yourself, who you are as an artist but also who you are as a person in this world."
- Aaron Z. 2011 SLI
Fee: $1,650 Canadian.
(Free Billets may be available)
Early application is encouraged as enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
Contact your local funding agency to inquire about Study Grants.
For more information contact One Yellow Rabbit.
Questions? Please contact the Summer Lab Intensive Registrar at 403 264-3224 Ext 1 | or by email at email@example.com
"The lab gave me the opportunity to explore ideas that I've wanted to for quite some time as well as a new found courage to keep pursuing it." - Aaron Z. 2011 SLI
The Summer Lab Intensive is an unconventional three week Master Class. Our goal is to stimulate theatre and performing artists who are interested in creating original performance art.
With a mixture of emerging and established actors, writers, directors, dancers in the class, The Summer Lab Intensive uses an integrated approach during the teaching process. With a maximum enrollment of 25 participants, instructors work closely with students to provide a truly meaningful experience.
During the 15 years of Summer Lab Intensive, students from across Canada and North America have learned the founding One Yellow Rabbit philosophy based on these principals.
- Good Performance is based on economy, precision and relaxation.
- There are no "rules" to the creation of good theatre.
- Imagination is your most important asset.
- Theatre artists should have a solid understanding of all elements of performance and creation.
- Good performance and creation involve practices and discipline from the creation phase, through to warm up and the eventual performance itself.
- Art based on honest experience is the most powerful.
"The Lab was truly an opportunity to experiment – to dive in, examine, and play with how we produce vital, engaging, authentic theatre," - Nicole S. 2011 SLI
The Summer Lab Intensive uses an informal three-step application process. There is no official application form. There is no official deadline.
When we receive a maximum enrollment of 25 students, no applications will be accepted.
If you are interested in participating in the 2012 Summer Lab Intensive, the first step is to contact the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone 403 264-3224 Ext 1.
The second step is the actual application. We ask you to submit a package that best represents you. This may take the form of a resume, photos, artwork, writings, press clippings, art portfolios. Or it may be both formal and artistic. The key is to submit a package that best represents you as an individual and an artist.
Upon receiving the package, it will be reviewed which will be followed by an informal telephone interview with Denise Clarke. At that time, your application will be given final consideration.
All Applications Packages must be sent to:
One Yellow Rabbit
Attention: Summer Lab Intensive
#21, 225 8th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0K8
Questions? Please contact the Summer Lab Intensive Registrar at
403 264-3224 Ext 1 or by email at email@example.com